Sunday, September 11, 2011

Numbers are Words, Too

Even though it's been happening ever since I've been aware of my senses, it always surprises me that we can have such a strong association related to a certain smell.  It's the same way with songs.  When I hear "You Shook Me All Night Long," I'm instantly transported back to the Homecoming dance, senior year of high school, where my soon-to-be-boyfriend and I danced together to that song.

So even though it shouldn't surprise me that it surprises me, it's a little awe-inspiring to realize that two simple numbers can stir up such powerful emotions in an entire country.  I wasn't in NYC for 9/11, but I was today, and although I know I could never really comprehend the feelings that were felt that day, because of the shared memories conjured up by the mere mention of the date, I feel I can almost understand the terror, disbelief, and horrible grief so many people experienced.  Luckily for me, no one I knew was directly affected by those attacks, but because of the everlasting effects of that day 10 years ago, the numbers will forever have an effect on us all.  Words are powerful.  But the emotions they inspire are even stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment