Monday, September 12, 2011

Reading Words: You Don't Love This Man

You Don't Love This Man
Dan DeWeese, 2011

I always cringe a little when I hear, "Write what you know," because I feel like there are probably many wonderful stories we're missing out on about the things people don't know.  But "Read what you know"--that I can get behind.  Words mean so much more to me when they feel like they were written to me, or about someone just like me.

So why, when I read this book, did I feel the whole time that it was baring my own soul?  I'm not a middle-aged man.  I didn't get a girl pregnant at age 17.  My daughter isn't getting married to my old friend.  Yet somehow, I felt the slow, numbing thought process of a man who is looking back on his life and wondering not how he got to where he is today, but whether another outcome could have been possible.

I know why, of course.  It's because good writers can make you feel however they want to; in this case, I'm a divorced father who isn't sure he's doing a very good job at his life.  Depressing concept, sure, but a pretty enjoyable read.

No comments:

Post a Comment